Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 21

This was going to be the photo update, but this computer I'm on is being so slow and terrible that I think I'm only going to be able to get a couple pics up.

This is me working in the lab, doing a blood test. Woooo!
Me, some of the voluteers (Laura, Rob, Will), and this awesome local guy named George.

This is me and Kwesi, one of my host brothers. Awesome kid - he works really hard everyday doing chores, cooking, carrying a ton of things back and forth from the house. He's also in school.





This also may be the last chance I have to update for a little while. I'll be leaving tomorrow to go with a bunch of the volunteers to this place called the Green Turtle Lodge, apparently some sort of eco-hotel a couple hours out of the city. We stay until Sunday. This will probably be the most vacation-y type thing I do in my stay. RELAXATION.

So I found out I lost like almost 10 pounds since I've gotten here. Disgusting eh?

And today, one of the babies in our house (a mother recently moved in with her. new people come and go all the time. makes you reconsider your definition of a family) who's almost one saw me and just started crying! When you're a baby, unfamiliar things can be pretty scary. Imagine if you grew up only knowing that people were white and all of a sudden see someone that's green! I think I'm starting to somewhat understand what it feels like to be out of place because of the colour of your skin. As a whole, people are very friendly to me though when they see me - and almost too friendly. I've had a couple incidents of over-friendlyness that I've learned some things about.

1 comment: